Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Portland and marriage, oh my!

Well, we had nice visits with friends and good food on our trip to Portland. The weather was great--crystal clear views of Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens. We also went to the pride parade on Sunday before we left. No major partying, though; we were in bed by midnight both Friday and Saturday.

Since we've been home, it's been "all gay marriage, all the time." I went to my first service at 1:30 this afternoon (a co-worker), but Stan was at the Clerk's Office almost all day. I guess six couples had ceremonies today and another six got licenses. Not quite the mad rush of San Francisco, but not bad for a rural area. Speaking of SF, on Saturday we are going to some friends' service in the City (on the beach, no less).

Tonight the Unitarian-Universalist congregation hosted a potluck in honor of the occasion. The Husband got recognized for his marriage equality work, so that was nice, and three of the couples who were wed today were there. It was interesting to talk to some of our friends who were there, though. One woman who has been really active on the issue said when I asked if she and her partner had set a date, "No, I want to have the right to get married, but I don't want to feel rushed into it just because I think someone might take it away from me." Amen!

We have been talking more and more about a date. I'd love to do it on the anniversary of our REAL wedding, so I wouldn't have to remember a new date for our "legal" wedding. I was also thinking tonight about rings. I want a 2-carat diamond, of course! But actually, I'm not sure I want to take off my ring just to put it back on again when somebody pronounces us legally married. I guess in a way I'm still bitter. Why shouldn't we just be able to pay for the certificate and have the state recognize something that already occurred? Why do we have to have another ceremony? The Clerk's service was nice, but I'm pretty sure I don't need someone to tell me how marriage is not to be entered into lightly.

I think what I really want is to be married by a skydiving Elvis impersonator. (Ooh, maybe that really bad drag king from the bar...) I mean, if that kind of crap gets straight people 1,149 rights under federal law but the state still won't recognize the solemn occasion we had four years ago complete with "Ave Maria" and an open bar, then maybe we should thumb our noses at the system by holding the tackiest legal wedding possible. (Oh, wait, I don't think I could compete in the tackiness department with the last family wedding I went to. Even an Elvis impersonator has a certain flair of kitsch. Dang!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home