Thursday, September 18, 2008

Since when?

So, there's this Mexican restaurant in town. The sign says "since 1981." My initial reaction is, why should that be impressive? There's another restaurant down the street that's "since 1965." But then I remember: 1981 was TWENTY-SEVEN years ago, and that's a pretty good run for a family restaurant. You know the statistic: most businesses fail in their first year. My all-time favorite, though, is a sign I saw in Germany - "Loewenapotheke, seit 1431." Translation: Lion's Pharmacy. Since 1431. THAT'S worth bragging about.

2 Comments:

Blogger FletcherDodge said...

How's this for a trip down Amnesia Lane:

Top 10 Hits from 1981:

1. Bette Davis Eyes, Kim Carnes
2. Endless Love, Diana Ross and Lionel Richie
3. Lady, Kenny Rogers
4. (Just Like) Starting Over, John Lennon
5. Jessie's Girl, Rick Springfield
6. Celebration, Kool and The Gang
7. Kiss On My List, Daryl Hall and John Oates
8. I Love A Rainy Night, Eddie Rabbitt
9. 9 To 5, Dolly Parton
10. Keep On Loving You, REO Speedwagon

5:25 AM  
Blogger PDSH said...

All the boys think she's a spy... I LOVE "Bette Davis Eyes"!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home